Friday, June 29, 2012



There was a time when internet was a costly affair. I had a dial up connection at home during my engineering days. I used to check my emails twice a day for not more than 10 minutes each time. Most of the times the phone line worked disastrously and I ended up going to a cyber cafe.
When my cousins went abroad, it was very difficult to catch up with them. I think it was early days of broadband when Yahoo introduced video chat and it was little too much to do a video chat with webcam on. However we managed to do video chat with my cousin to see the little one.

Today when I want my parents next to me or talk to my sister like before, I can hardly think of some time off to go be with them. There are so many factors that go into planning a trip and working it out. Many of you like me might not get to meet family often.
But skyping is definitely very comforting when someone can easily talk or see people who live far away. Happiness, crying, anger, sadness, yelling everything is over the phone. All the more an Iphone with the skype app is like a boon for me. I get to at least video chat and the days just pass by.
It is definitely not being in person with someone but the very least better in some ways. Someone said that out of sight is out of knowledge. Anything like skype reduces the weird meaning in the saying.

Sometimes it is better to choose to be happy and console oneself ignoring the worrying part. Although I miss my parents and sister, I think about the goodness in getting to chat.

Time has changed from internet being costly to eating and sleeping on internet. I can't imagine a day without internet. May be I should tell internet is elixir of life.

No comments: