Friday, August 10, 2007

Experiences with kids I came across

Today I met one of my coworkers after a long time. She was feeling bad that, she could not get to meet me of late.

It was during 3 months back when a bunch of freshers came near my bay and were waiting to meet the manager. They were bit nervous and were waiting to meet the manager. Soon after they heard something from him, they were giggling and happily sat in their allotted cubes. I was drowned into the last phase of my previous project then and never even had time to have a look what were they up to.

It was one fine morning when they were busy talking about something. I did not know that they discussed if they can approach me for clarifying few of their doubts. One of them started talking to me friendly saying they were a bunch of freshers and were quite happy for being together. They got introduced and one of them was asking me that they were clueless about the company processes and requires guidance on how to go about on few things. I had no problem explaining them and was trying to put them in comfort zone. They said they felt very comfortable talking to me. They were not allotted to projects and were on the business unit bench for quite sometime.

It was once when they asked about how to use time effectively as they were bored of the initial thrill of emailing on company email ids and talking over the phone unlimitedly to their friends. I was guiding them because I felt they were kids and really got to be nourished with some real good points. I spoke to them with great care and provided them few tips on strengthening the technology in which they were trained up. Soon after that, they started getting allocated to projects one after the other. Each time when one of them was asked to meet their reporting managers, they would make a point to inform me. Finally when one of them was placed, she made a point to come and meet me to inform that she was into a project and she finds it good. Today the young women whom I met told me;” hey you know I cleared my certification and thanks to you”.

I was really elated to hear it from her.

I was so happy. They were no way related to my team but still they recognized me as a good guideJ

I would like to share another incident about two kids. Few years back when dad’s colleague and friend asked dad that, if I could teach both his kids. Dad said they were very naughty and aunty felt very tough to teach them. I said” no problem, ask them to come to our place and I shall take care”. R1 was in his 8th grade and R2 was in 2nd gradeJ then.

They usually came home in the evening. R1 was very naughty and R2 was a silent yet naughty kind. I used to teach Maths, Science and Social science to R1. I easily managed R2. But many times he went off to sleep once he was done with. Initially R1 never listened to me but slowly he gained interest and liked the way I thought. Aunty used to tell me that R1 scored good marks and he really liked the way I thought. I used to take great care for those kids. Almost daily they had their snacks at my place and I made a point that I don’t hold them back later than 8P.M. I thought them for 3-4 months and slowly they were comfortable enough to manage on their own.

Few days back I was pretty excited to see R1 with his father. He had completed his schooling and was waiting for the results. I am not sure what he is up to now, but believe he would have done his best.

Sometimes in life it’s so nice when people come back and tell us how good they feel about us. I have not even expected any kind of reciprocation from them but they really made me feel good.

5 comments:

cm chap said...

Absolutely true... When u hear it from ppl that u hv helped them in someway or othe for the improvement... that ultimate joy which cannot be explained n words...

I cud recollct a similar incident... one of my team member... very shrewd & sharp.. but the problem was... she is nvr a team player... So I started giving her responsibilities that can nvr be done single handedly.. Also once gave a detailed feedback... Few months back she came to me & told that she realized whats the misatke was from herside... Yeah she is totally a diff person n work now.

Also she told me what are all the kind of cursings she used to gv me when I gave those work...But thats ok...Evrytg for good.. ;-)

Devi Ramachandran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Devi Ramachandran said...

Tats really a wonderful experience one would feel....of course even if we dont work for recognition"...but it still a good motivating factor and a kind of mental satisfaction..

Grooming youngsters is an art( Motivating & Encouraging espl by sharing our experience and KT Sessions)...

keep it up...good going...kudos...

S A said...

That's a really touching incident. It feels really great,not great, in fact,nice inside when we teach something, be it small or big, to anyone.

smilie said...

CM-chap,
Good that you had a similar experience.Good goin:)

R,
Thanks for your comments:)
yes its nice sharing what we know with others. I generally like teaching others.Hope I continue it further:)

S,

Thanks for your comments:)
As you rightly said, these kind of incidents give us a very nice feeling.