Thursday, May 07, 2009

Past few weeks have been very busy at work. But I love my work so much and I do it with passion.
Though work week has been very busy most of the times, I desperately find time to do things that I like. Yesterday I got reminded of some of my school teachers. I remembered the wishes that my primary school teacher had sent for my marriage. She was a very nice person .Both my sister and I have visited her after she got retired and when she got settled in a different city.

When I think of her, there are few things that remind me about her. In schooldays she used to be a very strict person. May be she is one even now. She always showed a difference between bright and dull children. One of my classmate was a below average student. He was not mentally fit for various reasons in his life. (I meant “not mentally fit” and not mentally retarded). He was very slow in grasping things. During exams he had a very tough problem of forgetting what he read. Some of us felt bad for him and used to help him as much as we could. This teacher always scolded him, has thrown hard substances like stick over him and has many times has even told that he is fit for nothing. She has even abused him for his appearance and all those words of underestimating a person. This continued for almost 6 years. There was no sign of improvement neither from my classmate nor from the teacher’s attitude. When we were in 9th grade, my classmate was forced to leave the school and we never came to know what happened to him later.

Most of us liked the teacher but we did not like the way she treated some of the classmates. So out of all the good deeds she did, this is one of her attitude that disturbed us.


Years later, one of my childhood friends happened to meet this so called dull, gullible classmate. She told me that he scored very good marks in his 12th grade and was pursuing his engineering. We were very glad to discuss about his effort to reach that point. It also reminded us of the teacher who had underestimated this person forever.

A teacher always scolds a student out of best interest for her students. But should not do that to the extent that one feels worthless in life.

I had a mathematics teacher who was a source of inspiration for most of the children. His approach of teaching was amazing. He made wonders by making a student score high marks who had struggled with mathematics for years.

He created a difference in many students life with his tremendous patience to ensure everybody understood the concepts. He was never tired of repeating.
I tried very hard to find whereabouts of my mathematics teacher. I came to know from one of my friends that he passed away.Till date I have only best things to remember about him.

Given a chance I would want to be like my mathematics teacher.
So far my attempt in teaching kids, training fresh grads has been very successful. But the opportunities for that are very narrow in my current work place.

Sometimes random memories like this and experiences from the past remind the old lessons learnt.

1 comment:

Devi Ramachandran said...

Hi Smilie

Very emotional blog reminding of our teachers..

I am sure every child has some or other capability within oneself, teachers are the most important people in one's life to upbring this hidden talents.

Even i had been fortunate for getting good teachers who not only taught the academics but also the value systems...

I was much impressed with the character of Aamir Khan in "Tare Zameen Par"...great job


Kudos to all the "Teachers"

Cheers'

Deviram